Clavering is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex. Langley is a chapelry of Clavering.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1554
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1801
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
- Brent Pelham, Hertfordshire
- Wicken Bonhunt
- Meesden, Hertfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLAVERING, a parish and a hundred in Essex. The parish is in Saffron-Walden district; lies on the west border of the county, 3½ miles SW of Newport r. station, and 6½ SW by S of Saffron-Walden; and has a post office under Bishops-Stortford. Acres, 3,798. Real property, £6,464. Pop., 1,047. Houses, 243. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged at Domesday to Suene; went to the Fitz-Rogers or Claverings, who had a castle on it; and passed, through the Nevilles and others, to the Barringtons. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Langley, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £491. Patron, Christ’s Hospital. The church has an effigies of a knight, a brass of the Welbores, and monuments of the Barlees; and was recently repaired. There are an Independent chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £19. The hundred contains six parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 13,676. Pop., 4,954. Houses, 1,058.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Saffron Walden
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Saffron Walden
- Hundred: Clavering (Essex)
- Province: Canterbury