Chrishall, Essex Family History Guide

Chrishall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1662
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1787

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Heydon
  • Ickleton, Cambridgeshire
  • Barkway, Hertfordshire
  • Great Chishill
  • Langley
  • Barley, Hertfordshire
  • Little Chishill
  • Wendon Lofts
  • Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire
  • Duxford St John, Cambridgeshire
  • Elmdon

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHRISHALL, a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; 4 miles W of Andley-End r. station, and 5½ W of Saffron-Walden. Post town, Elmdon, under Saffron-Walden. Acres, 2,690. Real property, £3,241. Pop., 643. Houses, 123. Part of the land is common. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £304. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has a canopied brass of the 14th century, and two other brasses.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Saffron Walden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre- 1845 - None, Post 1844 - Saffron Walden
  • Poor Law Union: Saffron Walden
  • Hundred: Uttlesford
  • Province: Canterbury