Ongar Essex The High Street

Chipping Ongar is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: Ongar

Parish church: St. Martin

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ONGAR, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred, in Essex. The town stands on the river Roding, at the terminus of a branch of the Great Eastern railway, 6 miles E by N of Epping; was known, at Domesday, as Aungre; took afterwards the name of Chipping-Ongar, to designate it, as the seat of a market, and to distinguish it from High Ongar; belonged, at Domesday, to Earl Eustace; passed, in the time of Henry II., to Richard de Lucy; occupies the site of anancient entrenchment; is proved, by the finding of many Roman relics in it, and by the existence of Roman bricksin its church, to have been the place of a Roman settlement; had a castle at some early period, rebuilt and moated by Richard de Lucy, and now represented by some remains; is now a seat of petty sessions; consists chiefly of one street, situated on a rising bank, and commanding a good view; and has a post-office under Brentwood, a banking office, a three-arched bridge overthe Roding, an iron bridge erected in 1869 over the washway at Shelley, a town hall, a police station, a church, an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £76. The church succeeded a very ancient chapel; hasloophole windows; and contains a monument to Lady Jane Cromwell, cousin of Oliver Cromwell. A school and lecture-rooms, in connexion with the Independent chapel, and situated in the rear of it, were erected in 1865. A weekly market is held on Saturday; and a fair on 12 Oct. The parish comprises 508 acres. Real property, £4,052. Pop., 867. Houses, 175. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. value, £127. Patron, Admiral Swinborne.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ONGAR, or Chipping-Ongar (St. Martin), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Ongar, S. division of Essex, 12 miles (W. by S.) from Chelmsford, and 21 (N. E.) from London; containing 870 inhabitants. Its name is derived from the Saxon aungre, “the place,” or, as Morant supposes, from the old word hangre, a hill; the addition of chipping, or ceping, signifying a market. It was anciently denominated Ongar ad Castrum, on account of its castle, and to distinguish it from High Ongar, a village in the vicinity. The town is of considerable antiquity, and was probably founded by the Saxons soon after their settlement in England. At the time of the Norman survey, the manor was held in demesne by Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, and after passing through several families, came into the possession of Richard de Lucy, chief justice of England under Henry II. De Lucy procured a market and fairs for the town as the head of the barony, and built the castle on a high circular eminence to the east of it, surrounded by a moat and some earthworks, of which there are still vestiges; the castle itself was destroyed in the reign of Elizabeth. The town occupies an elevated site on the bank of the river Roden, and consists principally of one long street, within the area of an extensive intrenchment, which may be distinctly traced; it is partially paved, lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water. A market for corn and cattle is held on Saturday; and there is a fair on September 30th, for hiring servants. The magistrates hold a petty-session for the division, on the market-day. The parish comprises about 500 acres, nearly equally divided between pasture and arable land. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6, and in the patronage of Lady Swinburne and Lady Gordon: the tithes have been commuted for £144, and the glebe comprises 4½ acres, with a house. The church is a small structure with a steeple covered with lead; it is partly built of Roman bricks, and is remarkable for the castellated loop-hole appearance of its windows. There is a place of worship for Independents, of which the learned Dr. Doddridge was minister. A free school was founded in 1678, pursuant to the will of Joseph King, who bequeathed to certain trustees five houses, the rents of which amount to £70 per annum: any one of the scholars that may be eligible for the university is entitled annually to £5 for four years from the fund. The poor-law union of Ongar comprises twenty-six parishes or places, containing a population of 11,804. Richard Vaughan, Bishop of Bangor, was formerly rector.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Registers

Parish Records

Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog

Use for:
England, Essex, Chipping-Ongar
England, Essex, Ongar (Chipping)

England, Essex, Ongar – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Chipping Ongar, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Essex, Ongar – Church records ( 6 )
Births, baptisms and burials, 1764-1837
Author: Independent Church (Ongar)

Bishop’s transcripts for Ongar, 1630-1640
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Ongar (Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for Ongar, 1801-1877
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Ongar (Essex)

Parish registers for Ongar, 1558-1975
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Ongar (Essex)

The parish registers of Ongar, Essex, 1558-1750
Author: Crisp, Frederick Arthur, 1851-1922; Church of England. Parish Church of Ongar (Essex)

The parish registers of Ongar, Essex, 1558-1750
Author: Crisp, Frederick Arthur, 1851-1922; Church of England. Parish Church of Ongar (Essex)

England, Essex, Ongar – Church records – Indexes ( 3 )
Computer printout of Chipping Ongar, Essex, England

Computer printout of Chipping Ongar, Independent, Essex, Eng

Parish register printouts of Chipping-Ongar, Essex, England (Independent) ; christenings, 1764-1780, 1782-1810, 1812-1821, 1823-1837
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

England, Essex, Ongar – History ( 3 )
Aspects of the history of Ongar
Author: Ongar Milennium History Group

Memorials of the parishes of Greensted-Budworth, Chipping Ongar and High Laver : with an account of the families of Cleeve and Budworth
Author: Budworth, Philip John, 1817-1885

Memorials of the parishes of Greensted-Budworth, Chipping Ongar and High Laver : with an account of the families of Cleeve and Budworth
Author: Budworth, Philip John, 1817-1885

View Records

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Andrews John, Mardon Ash, Ongar, Essex, schoolmaster, May 25, 1841.

Leete Francis, Chipping Ongar, Essex, victualler, April 19, 1839.

Noble Richard, Chipping Ongar, Essex, builder and carpenter, June 17, 1826.

Reynolds Thomas, Chipping Ongar, Essex, clothes salesman. Dec. 4, 1838.

Thorogood William, Chipping-Ongar, Essex, victualler, Jan, 11, 1831.

Watson Hugh, Willingale Spain, Ongar, Essex, cattle salesman, Jan. 26, 1830.

Directories

Poll Books

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Ongar
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Ongar
  • Poor Law Union: Ongar
  • Hundred: Ongar
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts