Chigwell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Chigwell Row.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1555
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1715; 1800
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
- Theydon Bois
- Lambourne with Abridge
- Great Ilford
- Buckhurst Hill
- Woodford Bridge
- Barkingside Trinity
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHIGWELL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Epping district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the river Roding, near Epping forest, 1½ mile ESE of Buckhurst Hill r. station, and 6 SSW of Epping; and has a post office under London NE., and a fair on 30 Sept. The parish includes also the village of Chigwell-Row. Acres, 4,522. Real property, £15,661. Pop., 2,676. Houses, 474. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has traces of Norman; is good; and contains brasses of 1540 and 1631. The rectories of Buckhurst and Chigwell-Row are separate benefices. A school, founded in 1629 by Archbishop Harsnet, has £340 from endowment; and other charities have £74. Archbishop Harsnet, and Beloe, the translator of Herodotus, were vicars; and Penn, the Quaker, was educated in the school. The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 1,634. Pop., 5,987. Houses, 1,143.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Mason Allen, Chigwell, Essex, corn and coal dealer, March 6. 1840.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Epping
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Ongar, Post-1844 - Lambourne
- Poor Law Union: Epping
- Hundred: Ongar
- Province: Canterbury