Chignall St James is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Chicknell, Chickney, Great Chignall
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1724
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1801
- Chignall Smealy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHIGNAL-ST. JAMES, or Great Chignal, a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; on an affluent of the river Chelmer, 3 miles NW of Chelmsford. Post town, Chelmsford. Acres, 908. Real property, £1,523. Pop., 258. Houses, 54. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Mashbury, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £430. Patron, the Rev. J. G. Milne. The church is good; and there was formerly another church, dedicated to St. Mary. Charities, £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Chelmsford
- Poor Law Union: Chelmsford
- Hundred: Chelmsford
- Province: Canterbury