Chappel is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Chapel, Pontesbright, Pontisbright
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
- Mount Bures
- Great Tey
- West Bergholt
- Earls Colne
- White Colne
- Wakes Colne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHAPEL, Chappel, or Pontisbright, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the Colne river and the Colne Valley railway, 7 miles WNW of Colchester. It has a station, of the name of Chapel, on the railway; and its Post Town is Marks-Tey, under Colchester. Acres, 1,146. Real property, £2,021. Pop., 370. Houses, 86. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, under the vicarage of Great Tey, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £70. Patrons, the Parishioners. The church is old but good, and has a spire.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Halstead
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury