Castle Hedingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptists and Independent/Congregational.
- Little Yeldham
- Sible Hedingham
- Great Yeldham
- Great Maplestead
- Belchamp North End
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTLE-HEDINGHAM, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands on the river Colne, and on the Colne Valley railway, 4½ miles NW of Halstead; is a seat of petty sessions and a pollingplace; and has a post office under Halstead, a railway station, and an inn. Fairs are held on 14 May and 25 July. A grand castle was built on an adjacent eminence, in the early part of the 12th century, by Aubrey de Vere, Earl of Oxford; was the death-place of Queen Maud; made a great figure in the wars in the time of King John; was the scene of a sumptuous entertainment to Henry VII.; suffered much demolition, in 1592, by Edward de Vere; and was reduced to ruin, in 1666, in the first Dutch war. Only the keep of it now stands; and this is pure Anglo-Norman, 62 feet wide, 55 feet broad, and about 100 feet high,-the walls, from 10 to 13 feet thick, the height disposed in five storeys, pierced with loop-holes and narrow windows. A Benedictine nunnery and an hospital also were founded here by the De Veres, the former in 1198, the later in 1250; part of the nunnery is now a farm house. The parish comprises 2,429 acres. Real property, £6.027. Pop., 1,203. Houses, 300. The property is divided among a few. The manor passed from the De Veres to the Ashursts and the Houghtons; and belongs now to A. Majendie, Esq. The parish is notable for its produce of Essex hops. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £100. Patron, A. Majendie, Esq. The church dates from the time of King John; shows Norman traces; has a tower of 1616; and contains monuments of the De Veres and the Ashursts. There are a large Independent chapel and several alms-houses.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
County: Essex Civil Registration District: Halstead Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division) Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester Rural Deanery: Hedingham Poor Law Union: Halstead Hundred: Hinckford Province: Canterbury