Canvey Island is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1739 from Island in the River Thames.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1819
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Dutch Church
- Bowers Gifford
- Little Warley
- South Benfleet
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CANVEY-ISLAND, a chapelry in Billericay and Rochford districts, Essex; encircled by the Thames, opposite the Hope, adjacent to Benfleet r. station, 4½ miles SW of Rayleigh. It comprises parts of Vauge, Pitsea, Bowers-Gifford, North Benfleet, South Benfleet, Hadleigh, Pritthewell, and Southchurch parishes; and its Post Town is South Benfleet, under Chelmsford. Acres, about 3,500. Pop., 111. The property is much subdivided. The surface is marshland sheep-pasture; and it is protected all round by embankment, and connected with the mainland by a causeway. Fairs are held on 25 June and 25 Sept. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £58. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Billericay; Rochford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Barstable, Post-1844 - Rochford
- Poor Law Union: Rochford
- Hundred: Barstable; Rochford
- Province: Canterbury