Canewdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Wallisea Island.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1636
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1801
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and Independent/Congregational.
- Latchingdon with Snoreham
- Burnham on Crouch
- South Fambridge
- Little Wakering
- Great Stambridge
- Little Stambridge
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CANEWDON, a village and a parish in Rochford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Crouch, 3½ miles NNE of Rochford, and 6½ N of Southend r. station; and has a post office under Chelmsford, and a fair on 24 June. Canute, the Dane, held his court here; and the name Canewdon is a corruption of Canute’s Town. A Roman station also was here; and several Roman urns and a torso have been found. The parish includes part of Wallisea island. Acres, 4,071; of which 100 are water. Real property, £7,858. Pop., 664. Houses, 140. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £495. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is later English, has a massive tower, and is very good. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £132.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Rochford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Rochford, Post-1844 - Canewdon
- Poor Law Union: Rochford
- Hundred: Rochford
- Province: Canterbury