Burnham on Crouch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Ostend.
Alternative names: Burnham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Christians, Particular Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURNHAM, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village stands on the river Crouch, opposite Wallasea island, 8½ miles NNE of Southend r. station, and 10 SE of Maldon. It has a post office under Maldon; dates from old times; includes a good street; is a seaport and a coastguard station; and has two chief inns, a custom house, a convenient quay, and a ferry. Fairs are held at it on 25 April and 24 Sept.; and oyster-fishing, boat-building, and sail-making are carried on. The parish includes also the hamlet of Ostend. Acres, 5,523. Real property, £11,821; of which £2,072 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,870. Houses, 388. The property is divided among a few. The land is marshy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £558. Patron, not reported. The church is good; and is so situated as to serve as a landmark. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Maldon
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Dengie
- Poor Law Union: Maldon
- Hundred: Dengie
- Province: Canterbury