Bradwell on Sea is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Bradwell juxta Mare, Bradwell near the Sea, Bradwell next the Sea
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
- St Lawrence Newland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRADWELL, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Maldon, Essex. The village stands near the point of the peninsula between the Blackwater estuary and the sea, 5½ miles by water, but 12 by road, E of Maldon r. station; and has a post office under Maldon, and a fair on 24 June. It is thought by Camden to occupy the site of the Roman Othona and the Saxon Ithancestre. The parish is sometimes called Bradwellnext-the-Sea; and comprises 4,734 acres of land, and 5,381 of water. Real property, £8,151. Pop., 1,094. Houses, 217. The property is divided among a few. Bradwell Lodge is a chief residence. There are decoys for wild fowls. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1,624. Patron, W. M. Warner, Esq. The church is good; and there are charities £109. The subdistrict contains five parishes. Acres, 25,887. Pop., 2,828. Houses, 579.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Cowlen Saint John, Bradwell, Essex, wheelwright, May 18, 1832.
Ketcher Nathaniel, Bradwell, near the Sea, Essex, shopkeeper, March 19, 1822.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Maldon
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Dengie
- Poor Law Union: Maldon
- Hundred: Dengie
- Province: Canterbury