Boxted is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Boxtead
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Stoke by Nayland
- Great Horkesley
- Myland St Michael
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOXTED, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Stour, 2 miles ESE of Neyland, and 5½ N of Colchester r. station. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,082. Real property, £5,019. Pop., 935. Houses, 219. Boxted Hall is the seat of the Poleys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £110. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has a curious monument of Sir J. Poley; and is very good. Charities, £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Dedham
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury