Bowers Gifford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630; 1800
- Canvey Island
- South Benfleet
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOWERS-GIFFORD, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; on the Tilbury and Southend railway, 1½ mile E of Pitsea station, and 7 SE of Billericay. It includes part of Canvey island; and has a post office under Chelmsford. Acres, 2,606. Real property, £3,768 Pop., 259. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. Bowers Hall is the seat of Mrs. Curtis. Much of the land is marshy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £564. Patron, the Rev. Horace Roberts. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Billericay
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Barstable
- Poor Law Union: Billericay
- Hundred: Barstable
- Province: Canterbury