Borley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1652
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1780
- Sudbury St Gregory
- Belchamp Walter
- Long Melford
- Sudbury All Saints with Ballingdon and Brundon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BORLEY, a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the verge of the county, at the river Stour, 2¼ miles NW of Sudbury r. station. Post Town, Sudbury. Acres, 776. Real property, £1,694. Pop., 190. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £240. Patron, the Rev. Edward Bull. The church stands on a rising-ground; contains a monument to Sir Edward Waldegrave, master of the wardrobe to Queen Mary; and is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Sudbury
- Probate Court: Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Peculiar Deanery of Bocking, Post-1844 - Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Bocking, Post-1844 - Hedingham
- Poor Law Union: Sudbury
- Hundred: Hinckford
- Province: Canterbury