Boreham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: St Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1800
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOREHAM, a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Chelmer, near the Eastern Counties railway, 3 ½ miles NE of Chelmsford; and it has a post office under Chelmsford, and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 3,739 acres. Real property, £7,002. Pop., 989. Houses, 186. The property is divided among a few. Boreham House is the seat of Sir J. T. Tyrell, Bart. Newhall belonged to Waltham Abbey; and passed to the Shardelowes, the Butlers, the Boleyns, Henry VIII., the Ratcliffes, the Villierses, Cromwell, Monk, the Cavendishes, and Olmius Lord Waltham. A mansion on it was built by the Butlers in the time of Henry VII.; inhabited by the Princess Mary, the Duke of Buckingham, Cromwell, and Monk; and demolished, all except the great hall, by Lord Waltham. The hall is now a chapel, 96 feet by 50, retaining the arms of Henry VIII. and Elizabeth; and a convent is connected with it, first occupied by nuns who fled from Liege at the first French revolution, and used as a seminary for Roman Catholic ladies. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £432. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has a square Norman tower; contains tombs of the Ratcliffes, Earls of Sussex; and is good. The churchyard contains a mausoleum of the Walthams, after the model of the Temple of the Winds. There are national schools, Butler’s charity school with £156 a year, and other charities with £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BOREHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of Essex, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Chelmsford; containing 1034 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the Saxon Bore, “a market,” and Ham, “a village;” and is supposed to have been anciently a place of considerable importance. The land is generally elevated; the soil is fertile though varying in quality, and the general appearance is greatly enriched with wood, which seems to have been formerly more abundant than at present. New Hall, in the parish, is part of a much larger mansion greatly adorned by Henry VIII., who having obtained the manor in exchange for other property, raised it into an honour: his daughter, the Princess Mary, also resided here for several years. It is now occupied by a society of English nuns, who were driven from Liege by the fury of the French republicans, and who now superintend the education of about eighty young ladies. The village is pleasantly situated on the road to Colchester; and the Chelmer navigation bounds the parish on the south. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £10. 3. 9., and in the patronage of the Bishop of London: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £680, and the vicarial for £440; there are 21 acres of glebe belonging to the impropriator, and 18 to the vicar. The church is a handsome edifice, consisting of a nave, with north and south aisles, and a chancel, between which and the nave rises a lofty square embattled tower; the south aisle was added by Sir Thomas Radcliffe, and contains an elegant monument with statues of Robert, first Earl of Sussex, his son, and grandson.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The following records are available free online.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Chelmsford
- Poor Law Union: Chelmsford
- Hundred: Chelmsford
- Province: Canterbury