Bocking is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: St Mary the Virgin, St Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1802
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Protestant Dissenters, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Registers
- Parish Records
- Poll Books
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOCKING, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands on the left bank of Blackwater river, and on the Braintree railway, adjacent to Braintree; forms a suburb of that town; consists chiefly of one long street; and is a seat of petty sessions. A trade in baizes, called “bockings,” was at one time prominent; and a manufacture of silk and crape is now carried on. The parish includes also Bocking-street and Bocking-Church-street, ¾ and 2 miles distant from Braintree, both with post-offices under that town, and the former situated on the branch Roman road from Chelmsford. Acres, 4,607. Real property, £15,156. Pop., 3,555. Houses, 768. The property is much subdivided. The man or was given by Ethelred to the see of Canterbury; and belongs now to the corporation of the sons of the clergy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £923. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; had anciently three altars and five chantries; and contains some monuments and two brasses. There are an Independent chapel, much improved in 1869, a charity school with £50, and other charities with £172. Dr. Dale, the author of “Pharmacologia,” was a native. The subdistrict contains five parishes. Acres, 11,507. Pop., 5,281. Houses, 1,171.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BOCKING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Braintree, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 1 mile (N.) from Braintree; containing 3437 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4490a. 1r. 12p., of which 3460 acres are arable, 617 meadow and pasture, 262 woodland, and 30 acres hop-grounds; and is intersected by the river Blackwater, which puts in motion the machinery of several corn-mills and silk-factories. The lands rest on a substratum of clay partially mixed with chalk; that portion under tillage produces fair average crops. The village, one of the most extensive in the county, has one principal street reaching to the town of Braintree, and containing several well-built houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £35. 10., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £1360, and there are nearly 114 acres of glebe. The church, built partly of flints and stone, is a spacious and handsome structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains many interesting monuments. John Gauden, Bishop of Worcester, established a school for boys, and endowed it with land now producing £50 per annum. An almshouse, endowed with about £8 per annum, was built by license of Henry VI., as a Maison Dieu, or “God’s House,” by John Doreward, who gave to it, and the chaplain of his chantry in the parish church, his manor of Tendring and a rentcharge on all his lands in the county; but this revenue, it is supposed, was lost at the Dissolution.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Gosling James, Bocking, Essex, spirit merchant, Oct. 7, 1828.
Lee Frances, Bocking, Essex, victualler, Dec. 3, 1822.
Lee James, Bocking, Essex, innkeeper, Dec. 18, 1824.
Whale George Archibald, Bocking, Essex, innkeeper, Dec. 11, 1832.
The following records are available free online.
Description and travel
Poorhouses & Poor Law
|Bocking||St Mary the Virgin||Parish Register||Search FreeReg|
|Bocking||St Peter||Parish Register||Search FreeReg|
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Braintree
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Peculiar Deanery of Bocking
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Bocking, Post-1844 – Hedingham
- Poor Law Union: Braintree
- Hundred: Hinckford
- Province: Canterbury