Blackmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: St Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1602
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- Stondon Massey
- High Ongar
- Norton Mandeville
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLACKMORE, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 3½ miles ESE of Chipping-Ongar r. station, and 4 NW by W of Ingatestone. It has a post office under Ingatestone, and a fair on 21 Aug. Acres, 2,576. Real property, £4,802. Pop., 644. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded on the site of the manor house, by the De Sampfords, in the time of Henry II; passed, under Cardinal Wolsey, to his colleges at Oxford-and Ipswich, and afterwards to Waltham Abbey; and was given, at the dissolution, to John Smith. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £83. Patrons, the Representatives of the lateA. Crickett, Esq. The church belonged to the priory; and is ancient, small, and good. Charities, £54.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BLACKMORE (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Ongar, hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of Essex, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Ingatestone; containing 709 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2400 acres, of which about 100 are woodland, 800 pasture, and the rest arable; and derives its name from the dark colour of the soil, which is generally a rich wet loam. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king’s books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £83; patrons and impropriators, the Representatives of the late C. A. Crickett, Esq. The church belonged to a priory of Black canons, founded here by Adam and Jordan de Samford, and which was dissolved in the 17th of Henry VIII.; the revenue, amounting to £85. 9. 7., was applied by Cardinal Wolsey towards the endowment of his two colleges at Oxford and Ipswich, and on his attainder, in 1529, was appropriated to the crown. Blackmore was the frequent residence of Henry VIII., whose natural son, Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Somerset, was born here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Simons Henry, Blackmore, Essex, grocer, Sept 10, 1830.
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Ongar
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Chelmsford, Post-1844 – Ingatestone
- Poor Law Union: Ongar
- Hundred: Chelmsford
- Province: Canterbury