Black Notley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Row Green.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NOTLEY (Black), a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands near the river Brain, 1 mile NNW of Bulford r. station, and 1¾ S by E of Braintree. The parish contains also the hamlet of Row-Green; and its post town is Braintree. Acres, 1,936. Real property, £3,617. Pop. in 1851, 527; in 1861, 489. Houses, 124. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by insufficient cottage accommodation, and partly by removal of silk-mill workers to the parish of Braintree. The property is subdivided. Many antiquities, including copper, brass, and glazed vessels, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £497. Patron, St. John’s College, Cambridge. The church is good, and has a wooden spire. There are a school with £10 a year from endowment, and charities £50. Bishop Bedell and the naturalist John Ray were natives.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Braintree
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Witham
- Poor Law Union: Braintree
- Hundred: Witham
- Province: Canterbury