Birdbrook is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1633
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1801
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BIRDBROOK, a parish in the district of Risbridge and county of Essex; on the Halstead railway, 2½ miles SE of Haverhill. It has a station on the railway. Post Town, Bumpstead-Steeple, under Halstead. Acres, 2,386. Real property, £4,047. Pop., 643. Houses, 143. Birdbrook Hall was formerly a seat of Sir W. B. Rush. Baythorn House was built in 1668. A Roman camp occurs at Watson Bridge; and a large tumulus at Ford Meadow; and a number of Roman urns, coins, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600. Patron, Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is a neat substantial edifice; and contains the remains of Martha Blewitt, who was the wife of successively nine husbands, and died in 1681.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Risbridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Hedingham, Post-1846 – Yeldham
- Poor Law Union: Risbridge
- Hundred: Hinckford
- Province: Canterbury