Birch is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1813 from Great Birch Ancient Parish and Little Birch Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Little Birch, Great Birch, Great and Little Birch
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
- Layer Breton
- Layer Marney
- Layer de la Haye
- All Saints in Stanway and Lexden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BIRCH, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 3½ miles SE of Marks-Tey r. station, and 5 SW of Colchester. It comprises two ancient parishes, Great Birch and Little Birch; and has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,069. Real property, £4,318. Pop., 940. Houses, 189. The property is divided among a few. Birch Hall is the seat ofG. Round, Esq. There are remains of a small castle. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £469. Patron, alternately the Bishop of Rochester andG. Round, Esq. The church of Great Birch is good; and that of Little Birch is in ruins.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Coggeshall
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury