Berden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Bearden, Berdon
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1715
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Furneux Pelham, Hertfordshire
- Brent Pelham, Hertfordshire
- Stocking Pelham, Hertfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BERDEN, or Berdon, a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford, and county of Essex; 4½ miles NW of Elsenham r. station, and 6 N by W of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post office under Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 1,771. Real property, £2,856. Pop., 414. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. A small Augustinian priory was founded here in the reign of Henry III.; was given, at the dissolution, to Henry Parker; and passed to the hospitals of Christchurch, Bridewell, and St. Thomas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £170. Patron, Christ’s Hospital. The church is ancient. The Rev. Joseph Mede, author of the “Clavis Apocalyptica,” was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Bishops Stortford
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Bishop’s Stortford
- Hundred: Clavering (Essex)
- Province: Canterbury