Barnston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Birnston, Bernston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1800
- High Roding
- Great Dunmow
- Little Dunmow
- Great Waltham
- High Easter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARNSTON, or Birnston, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Chelmer, 2 miles SE of Dunmow r. station, and 7½ WSW of Braintree. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,442. Real property, £2,415. Pop., 192. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. Barnston Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £335. Patron, the Rev. W. Toke. The church is Norman.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barnston, 1 m. S.E. Dunmow. P. 197
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Dunmow
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Dunmow
- Poor Law Union: Dunmow
- Hundred: Dunmow
- Province: Canterbury