Ashingdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Ashington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1802
- Canvey Island
- Stow Maries
- South Fambridge
- Little Warley
- North Fambridge
- Little Stambridge
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHINGDON, a parish in Rochford district, Essex; near the river Crouch, 2¼ miles N of Rochford and 6 NNE of Leigh r. station. Post Town, Rochford, under Ingatestone. Acres, 1,165. Real property, £1,878. Pop., 99. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. Ashingdon disputes with Ashdon being the ancient Assandune, the scene of Canute's victory over Edmund Ironside in 1016. An ancient camp was formerly at Canewdon; a great group of barrows, supposed to be the graves of the Danes, is in the neighbouring parish of Woodham-Mortimer; and a church built by Canute, in commemoration of his victory, is said to have stood in the neighbouring village of Hockley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £254. Patron, the Rev. S. Nottidge. The church is ancient, and has a fine view.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashingdon, 1 m. N. Rochford. P. 119
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Rochford
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Rochford
- Poor Law Union: Rochford
- Hundred: Rochford
- Province: Canterbury