Ashdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Steventon End, Little Bartlow, and Bartlow End.
Alternative names: Asshendon
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1533
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Roman Catholic.
- Saffron Walden
- Helion Bumpstead
- Castle Camps
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHDON, a village in Saffron-Walden district, Essex, and a parish chiefly in that district and county, but partly also in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cam, 3½ miles NE of Saffron-Walden, and 5½ ENE of Audley-End r. station; and has a post-office under Cambridge. Pop., 1,011. Houses, 220. The parish includes also the hamlet of Bartlow-End. Acres, 4,969. Real property, £6,969. Pop., 1,235. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Viscount Maynard. A place with a fine prospect and four barrows the latter supposed to be sepulchral monuments of Danish chiefs contends with Ashingdon in Rochford district the repute of being the battlefield of Canute's victory of Assandune, in 1016, over Edmund Ironside. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £909. Patron, Cains College, Cambridge. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel, and charities £21.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashdon, 3 m. N.E. Saffron-Walden. P. 1164
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Saffron Walden
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Sampford
- Poor Law Union: Saffron Walden
- Hundred: Freshwell
- Province: Canterbury