Ardleigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: No Man's Land.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1555
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Little Bromley
- Myland St Michael
- Great Bromley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARDLEIGH, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Tendring, Essex. The parish lies on the Eastern Union railway, 4¼ NE of Colchester; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Colchester. Acres, 4,905. Real property, £9,445. Pop., 1,582. Houses, 360. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £380. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. The subdistrict comprises six parishes. Acres, 18,037. Pop. 4,964. Houses, 1,136.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Tendring
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Tendring, Post-1846 - Ardleigh
Poor Law Union: Tendring