All Saints in Stanway and Lexden Essex Family History Guide

All Saints in Stanway and Lexden is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1845 from part of Stanway Ancient Parish and part of Lexden Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Stanway All Saints Shrub End, Shrub End.

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1845
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Birch
  • Stanway
  • Colchester St Mary at the Walls
  • Lexden
  • Berechurch
  • Colchester St Giles
  • Layer de la Haye 

Parish History

Stanway All Saints is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1845 from the civil parishes of Lexden and Stanway. All Saints church, on the Maldon road, about 2½ miles south east from St Allbrights, was erected by subscription in 1845, at a cost of £2,935 and is a handsome structure of brick, quoined with Caen stone, in the Decorated style, with a low tower containing 3 bells and surmounted by a spire. The living is a vicarage, endowed with £180 yearly, with residence, in gift of the Bishop of St .Albans and held by the Rev. Horace Fuller Rackham M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge.

Source: Kelly's Directory of Essex 1882

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STANWAY-ALL SAINTS, a chapelry in Stanway and Lexden parishes, Essex; 3½ miles SW of Colchester r. station. It was constituted in 1845; and its Post town is Colchester. Pop., 513. Houses, 112. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £106. Patron, the Bishop of R. The church was built in 1845.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Residents All Saints in Stanway and Lexden

1882

Green Henry Egerton, Kingsford

Hawes Mrs. Oak cottage

Hltchin Mrs. Olivers

Keyes Mrs. All Saints' Villa

May Thomas, Stanway hall

Rackham Rev. Horace Fuller M.A. Vicarage

Butcher Henry, rate collector & farmer, Butcher's green

Eagle Herbert Charles, farmer, Gosbecks

Folkard William, farmer

Hockley William, bricklayer

Ponder Edwd. beer retlr. Butcher's grn

Shelton George, seed grower

Wade Henry, Leather Bottle

Woodward Hy. frmr. Stanway Hall farm

Woodward Mrs. farmer, Brick Wall frm.

Source: Kelly's Directory of Essex 1882

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Lexden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Coggeshall
  • Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
  • Hundred: Colchester Borough; Lexden
  • Province: Canterbury