Abberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
- Alternative names: Abbington
- Parish church: St. Andrew
- Parish registers begin: 1560
- Nonconformists include:
Parishes adjacent to Abberton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Abberton, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Roman, 4 miles south of Colchester. Acres, 1,067. Real property, £1,574. Pop., 269. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £289 (with habitable glebe-house). Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is plain but good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The National Gazetteer 1868
Abberton, a par. in the hund. of Winstree, union of Lexden, in the co. of Essex, 4 miles S. of Colchester. The living is a rect.*1 in the dioc. of Rochester, val. £289, in the patron, of the lord chancellor. The church, which is small and plain, with a brick steeple, is dedicated to St. Andrew. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. It is watered by the river Roman.
Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Abberton, 3 m. S. Colchester. P. 248
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Abberton (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N division of Essex, 4 ¼ miles (S.) from Colchester; containing 248 individuals. It is situated about a mile and a half to the east of the river Colne, and comprises by measurement 1067 acres. There are some gravel-pits, which afford good materials for repairing the roads; and chalk can be obtained at a distance of three miles, being brought by vessels into the Strode of Mersea island. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £14 7 8½ , and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £300, and there are 50 acres of glebe. The church is a small neat building, on an elevated site, with a square tower of brick. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a day school for girls is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abberton, a parish in the hund. of Winstree, union of Lexden and Winstree, Essex; 4½ miles south of Colchester, and 55 of London. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Colchester and dio. of London; rated at £14 7s. 8 1/2 d.; gross income £295. Patron, the lord-chancellor“. The church is a small plain building. There is a National school here. Pop., in 1801, 150; in 1831, 202. Houses 35. Acres 1,030. A. P. £1,267. Poor rates, in 1837, £190.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Abberton, co. Essex.
P. T. Colchester (51) 4 m. S. Pop. 263.
A parish in the hundred of Winstree; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Colchester, and diocese of London; charged in K.B. 14l. 7s. 8½d; church ded. to St. Andrew; patron the Lord Chancellor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abberton, a parish in the hundred of Winstree, Essex, 6 miles from Colchester, and 35 from London; containing only 30 houses and 130 inhabitants; is a rectory, value 14l. 7s. 8d. Patron, the king.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
England’s Gazetteer 1752
Abberton, (Essex) near Lexden, is a manor which K. Hen. VIII. gave to Thomas Ld. Audley, in whose family it has continued ever since.
Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Mersea
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Winstree
- Province: Canterbury
- The asterisk (*) denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living.