The County of Essex

Essex is bounded, North by Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, East by the German Ocean, South by Kent, and West by Hertford and Middlesex. It is 46 miles long and 40 broad; and divided into 19 hundreds, namely, Barstable, Becontree, Chafford, Chelmsford, Clavering, Dengie, Dunmow, Freshwell, Harlow, Hinckford, Lexden, Ongar, Rochford, Tendring, Thurstable, Uttlesford, Waltham, Winstree, and Witham, and the liberty of Havering. Rivers: the Thames, the Stour, the Coln, the Blackwater, and the Chelmer. It has 19 market towns. Area 1532 square miles, or 980,480 acres. Population, 344,979. It is in the Province of Canterbury, chiefly in the Diocese of London, but partly in that of Canterbury; and it is included in the Home Circuit.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Essex Towns & Villages

Brightlingsea Essex The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Brightlingsea, a parish in the hund. of Tendring, union of Lexden and Winstree, county of Essex; 7½ miles south-east by south of Colchester, bounded on the west by the Colne river, and on the south by Brightlingsea Creek, forming a kind of peninsula. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Colchester and dio. of London, now in the dio. of Rochester; valued at £17 0s. 5d., and rated in the parliamentary returns at £104 19s. 10d.; gross income £213. Continue reading “Brightlingsea Essex The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851”

Bradwell-Near-The-Sea Essex The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bradwell-Near-The-Sea, a parish in the hund. of Dengey, union of Maldon, county of Essex; 12 miles east of Maldon; bounded on the north by the estuary of the Black water river, and on the east by the North sea. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Essex and dio. of London, now in the dio. of Rochester; valued at £48; gross income £1,720; nett income £1,624. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. T. Schreiber. Continue reading “Bradwell-Near-The-Sea Essex The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851”

Bradwell Essex The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bradwell, a parish in the hund. of Witham, union of Braintree, county of Essex; 2 miles west of Coggeshall, on the southern bank of the Black-water river. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Colchester and dio. of London, now in the dio. of Rochester; valued at £12; gross income £260; in the patronage, in 1835, of the Rev. M. J. Brunwin. There is a Sunday school here. Pop., in 1801, 244; in 1831, 318. Houses 53. Acres 3,210. A. P. £1,334. Poor rates, in 1837, £167.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Bradfield Essex The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bradfield, a parish in the hund. and union of Tendring, county of Essex; 3 miles east-south-east of Maningtree, on the southern bank of the navigable river Stour. Living, a discharged vicarage united to the rectory of Mistley. This parish possesses six daily schools. Pop., in 1801, 582; in 1831, 964. Houses 198. Acres 2,270. A. P. £3,290. Poor rates, in 1837, £555.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.