Ramsbury with Axford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.

Other places in the parish include: Whittonditch, Ramsbury Town, Park Town, Newtown, Maridge Hill, Lamplands, Elmdown, Eastridge, and Axford.

Alternative names: Ramsbury

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1678
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1589

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Baydon
  • Froxfield
  • Mildenhall
  • Chilton Foliat
  • Ogbourne St George
  • Aldbourne
  • Lambourn Woodlands
  • Great Bedwyn
  • Hungerford

Historical Descriptions

Ramsbury

Ramsbury The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

RAMSBURY, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Wilts. The village stands on the river Kennet, 4 miles N by W of Bedwyn r. station, and 5 WNW of Hungerford; was the seat of a diocese from 920 till 1058; was also a market town; consists now of one long street; contains some malting, brewing, and tanning establishments; and has a post-office under Hungerford, and fairs on 14 May and 11 Oct. The parish contains also the tythings of Axford, Eastridge, and Whittonditch, and the places called Park-Town, Madridge-Hill, Newtown, Elmdown, and Lamplands; and is in Hungerford district. Acres, 9,742. Real property, £14,304 Pop. in 1851, 2,696; in 1861, 2,533. The property is divided among a few. R. House belonged to the Joneses; was designed by Webb, the son-in-law of Inigo Jones; passed to the Burdetts; and belongs now to Sir R. Burdett, Bart. Littlecot Park, Crowood, and the Cedars also are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £400. Patron, Miss Burdett Coutts. The church is large and good; was the mother church to Sarum, and the cathedral of the quondam diocese; has a massive tower; and contains a mausoleum of Littlecoat, and monuments of the Reads and the Joneses. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and a national school. The hundred contains also two other parishes. Acres, 17, 254. Pop., 3, 629. Houses, 780.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Axford

Axford Wiltshire Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Axford, a tything in Ramsbury parish, Wilts; on the river Kennet, 3 miles ENE of Marlborough. Pop., 362. Houses, 74.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Axford Wiltshire Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Axford, a tything, in the parish and hundred of Ramsbury, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3¼ miles (ENE) from Marlborough; containing 485 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hungerford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Marlborough
  • Poor Law Union: Hungerford
  • Hundred: Ramsbury
  • Province: Canterbury

Photographs