Southwick is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Durham, created in 1847 from Monkwearmouth St Peter Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: North Hylton, South Hylton, and Hylton.

Alternative names: Southwick on Wear

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1844
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist Association, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Southwick

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SOUTHWICK, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, 1½ mile NW of Sunderland r. station; consists of two parts, High and Low; carries on ship-building, glass-making., brick-making, and pottery-work; and has a post-office under Sunderland. The township comprises 1,018 acres. Real property, £10,626; of which £343 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,721: in 1861, 4,263. Houses, 626. Pop. in 1868, between 6 and 7,000. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Pop., 4,683. Houses, 704. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, about £500. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D. The church is modern; and there are Wesleyan, United Methodist, and Primitive Methodist chapels, an Alexandra institute, and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

North Hylton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HYLTON, or NORTH HYLTON, a village and a township in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, opposite Ford village and Hylton r. station, 3 miles W of Sunderland; has a post-office, of the name of North Hylton, under Sunderland; and shares with Ford a trade in ship building and in iron and chemical works. The township comprises 2, 670 acres. Real property, £3, 569. Pop., 487. Houses, 78. Hylton Castle here is the seat of J. Bowes, Esq.; was originally a keep of the 13th century; retains, in the W front, a gatehouse of the time of Richard II.; underwent extension, in the Italian style, in 1746; and is associated with a grim ancient goblin legend. It belonged, for many ages, to the family of Hylton; and passed, in 1762, to the Bowes family. A ruined chapel is behind it, originally of the 12th century, desolated at the Reformation, restored in last century, desecrated afterwards to the meanest uses, and retaining on its walls stone shields of the Hyltons, and of families to which they were allied.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog

England, Durham, Southwick – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Burial and graves registers from Southwick Cemetery, 1884-1998
Author: Southwick Cemetery (Southwick, Durham)

England, Durham, Southwick – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Southwick, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Durham, Southwick – Church records ( 6 )
Church records, 1905-1995
Author: Catholic Church. St. Hilda (Southwick, Durham)

England, Durham, Southwick, bishop’s transcripts, 1845-1848
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Southwick (Durham); Durham University Library

Parish registers for Holy Trinity Church, Southwick, 1890-1907
Author: Church of England. Holy Trinity Church (Southwick, Durham)

Parish registers for Southwick, 1845-1906
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Southwick (Durham)

Parish registers for St. Columba’s Church, Southwick, 1885-1920
Author: Church of England. St. Columba’s Church (Southwick)

Pew rents, 1844-1877
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Southwick (Durham)

England, Durham, Southwick – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Southwick Holy Trinity : baptisms & marriages, 1892-1901
Author: Rawling, W. J. F.; Yellowley, Carol; Church of England. Chapelry of Southwick (Durham)

England, Durham, Southwick – Land and property ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for the township of Southwick, 1760-1831
Author: Great Britain. Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Durhamshire)

England, Durham, Southwick – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 2 )
Poor relief rate book, 1837
Author: Southwick (Durham)

Valuation lists, 1862-1901
Author: Southwick (Durham)

England, Durham, Southwick – Schools ( 3 )
Boys’ log book, 1907-1926
Author: Southwick Central Council School (Southwick, Durham)

Log book, 1902-1925
Author: High Southwick Infants’ School (Southwick, Durham)

Log book, 1907-1926
Author: West Southwick Boys’ School (Southwick, Durham)

England, Durham, Southwick – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for the township of Southwick, 1760-1831
Author: Great Britain. Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Durhamshire)

View Records

Administration

  • County: Durham
  • Civil Registration District: Sunderland
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Chester le Street
  • Poor Law Union: Sunderland
  • Hundred: Chester Ward
  • Province: York

Similar Posts