Seaham Harbour is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Durham, created in 1843 from Dalton le Dale Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Dawdon

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1841
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Seaham Harbour

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SEAHAM-HARBOUR, a sea-port town and a chapelry in Dalton-le-Dale parish, Durham. The town stands at the S side of the mouth of Seaham dene, and at the terminus of the Sunderland and Seaham railway, 6 miles S by E of Sunderland; occupies ground which was formerly waste and wild; dates from only 1828, when both itself and its harbour were begun to be formed; commands an extensive view of both sea and coast; carries on an extensive trade in the export of coal and lime; conducts much business also in blast-furnaces, an extensive foundry, and bottle-works; publishes two weekly newspapers; and has a head post-office, designated Seaham, Durhamshire, a r. station with telegraph, also designated Seaham, a banking office, a custom-house, a church of 1841 in the later English style, three dissenting chapels, a mechanics’ institution, a national school, and an infirmary. The harbour comprises about 16 acres, with a pier; has a fixed light, put up in 1846; and is near the two Red Acre Point lights, 94 and 49 feet high, put up in 1843. The shipment of coals in 1862 comprised 41, 190 tons to foreign ports, and 613, 226 tons coastwise. The chapelry was constituted in 1843; is conterminate with Dawdon township; and comprises 830 acres of land, and 157 of water. Real property, £47, 988; of which £24, 747 are in mines, £10, 178 in railways, £150 in iron-works, and £378 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 3, 538; in 1861, 6, 137. Houses, 833. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham-Value, £250. Patron, Earl Vane.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Dawdon

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DAWDON, a township in Dalton-le-Dale parish, Durham; on the coast, with a new harbour, 6½ miles S by E of Sunderland. Acres, 987; of which 157 are water. Real property, £47, 988; of which £24, 747 are in mines, £10, 178 in railways, £150 in iron-works, and £378 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 3, 538; in 1861, 6, 137. Houses, 833. A large traffic is carried on in coals. The increase of population arose from the extension of trade consequent on the opening of the new harbour. Dawdon township is conterminate with Seaham Harbour chapelry, and represents Seaham Harbour town.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Durham
  • Civil Registration District: Easington
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Easington
  • Poor Law Union: Easington
  • Hundred: Easington Ward
  • Province: York

Similar Posts