Hurworth, Durham Family History Guide

Hurworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Durham.

Alternative names: Hurworth on Tees

Other places in the parish include: Neasham.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1765

Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hurworth

  • Darlington St John
  • Croft
  • Sockburn
  • Darlington St Cuthbert
  • Eryholme
  • Haughton le Skerne
  • Dinsdale

Historical Descriptions

Hurworth

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HURWORTH, a village, a township, and a parish in Darlington district, Durham. The village stands on the brow of a hill, overlooking the Tees, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 1 mile ENE of Croft r. station, and 3¾ SSE of Darlington; consists chiefly of one spacious well built street; commands a fine view of the valley of the Tees; and has a post office under Darlington. The township comprises 2,355 acres. Real property, £5,958. Pop., 1,192. Houses, 284. The parish contains also the township of Neasham, and comprises 3,930 acres. Real property, £8,099. Pop., 1,525. Houses, 361. The property is much subdivided. The linen manufacture is carried on. A Benedictine nunnery was at Neasham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £574. Patron, the Rev. R. H. Williamson. The church was repaired in 1832, at a cost of £1,800; has a stained glass window and a tower; and contains two military effigies, and a monument to the mathematician W. Emerson, who was a native, and was buried in the churchyard. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a turreted national school, and charities £38.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Neasham

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

NEASHAM, or Nysam, a township in Hurworth parish, Durham; on the river Tees, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 4 miles SE of Darlington. It has a post-office under Darlington, and a ferry on the Tees. Acres, 1,575. Real property, £2,141. Pop., 333. Houses, 77. The monks who bore the body of St. Cuthbert, crossed the Tees by a ford here, on their way to Ripon. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, by the Dacres, before the time of Henry II.; and is now represented by only the foundations. Neasham Abbey, the seat of Mrs. Wilkinson, is a modern house. Neasham Hall, the seat of J. Cookson, Esq., is noted as a place where many thorough-bred race-horses have been bred. The owner of Sockburn manor used always, in the times of the Bishop of Durham's temporal power, to meet him on his first entrance into the county at Neasham, and to present him here with a sword.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Durham
  • Civil Registration District: Darlington
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Stockton
  • Poor Law Union: Darlington
  • Hundred: Stockton Ward
  • Province: York