Ferryhill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Durham, created in 1843 from Merrington Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Low Spennymoor, Tudhoe, and Chilton.

Alternative names: Ferry Hill, Ferry Hill with Low Spennymoor

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1848
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FERRY-HILL, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Merrington parish, Durham. The village stands near the Great-North of England railway, the Durham branch of the Clarence railway, and the terminus or junction of the Ferry-Hill and Hartlepool railway, 5¾ miles E by N of Bishop-Auckland; is a large and well-built place; was anciently called Feery; and gave name to a resident family. The township includes also a new village, called Low Spennymoor, which is inhabited partly by coal-miners, and partly by workmen employed at adjacent foundries; and it has a railway station with telegraph, called Ferry-Hill Junction, a head post-office, called Ferry-Hill, and another post-office of Ferry-Hill Village, under Ferry-Hill. Acres, 2, 495. Real property, £7, 301; of which £3, 296 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 958; in 1861, 1, 423. Houses, 277. The chapelry includes also the township of Chilton; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 2, 879. Houses, 553. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £276. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is modern.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Durham
  • Civil Registration District: Stockton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Darlington
  • Poor Law Union: Sedgefield
  • Hundred: Darlington Ward
  • Province: York

Similar Posts