Birtley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Durham, created in 1850 from Chester le Street Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Harraton.
Parish registers begin: 1850
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Birtley
- Houghton le Spring
- Chester le Street
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BIRTLEY, a township and a chapelry in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham. The township lies on the Team Valley railway, 5 miles S by E of Gateshead; and has a post office under Fence-Houses, and a r. station. Acres, 1,392. Real property, £11,539, of which £1,450 are in mines, and £6,500 in iron-works. Pop., 2,246. Houses, 383 The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked; and there is a brine spring. The chapelry was constituted in 1850. Pop., 3,888. Houses, 710. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Chester-le-Street. The church was built in 1848. There are Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels, and a literary institute.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
BIRTLEY, a township in the parish of Chester le Street, middle division of Chester ward, county palatine of DURHAM, 5¼ miles (S. by E.) from Gateshead, containing 1386 inhabitants. The village is chiefly inhabited by colliers. Roman Catholics have a chapel here. There is a brine-spring in the township, from which salt is made.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
- County: Durham
- Civil Registration District: Chester le Street
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Chester le Street
- Poor Law Union: Chester le Street
- Hundred: Chester Ward
- Province: York