Aycliffe, Durham Family History Guide

Aycliffe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Durham.

Other places in the parish include: Nunstainton, Ricknall, Preston le Skerne, Woodham, Ketton, Great Aycliffe, and Brafferton.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St Andrew

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1560
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Parishes adjacent to Aycliffe

  • Bishopton
  • Haughton le Skerne
  • Coundon
  • Ferryhill
  • Sedgefield
  • Great Stainton
  • Bishop Middleham
  • Heighington
  • Auckland St Andrew

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

AYCLIFFE, a village, a township, and a subdistrict in the district of Darlington, and a parish in the districts of Darlington and Stockton, Durham. The village stands adjacent to the river Skerne, ¼ of a mile W of the York and Berwick railway, 5¼ miles N of Darlington. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Darlington.  It is an ancient place; belonged to the see of Lindisfarne; and was the meeting-place of synods in 782 and 789. The township bears the name of Great Aycliffe; and comprises 2,134 acres. Real property, £3,131. Pop., 840. Houses, 185. Extensive lime quarries are worked. The subdistrict includes another township of the same parish, parts of two other parishes, and two entire parishes. Acres, 27,745. Pop., 4,955. Houses, 1,045. The parish includes the townships of Great Aycliffe and Brafferton, in the district of Darlington, and the townships of Preston-le-Skerne and Woodham, in the district of Stockton. Acres, 10,858. Real property, £10,234. Pop., 1,458. Houses, 290. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £350 Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is mixedly Norman and pointed; consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and porch, with a western tower 85 feet high; and is in good condition. There are remains of two Saxon crosses in the churchyard. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, and charities £8.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Administration

  • County: Durham
  • Civil Registration District: Darlington
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Darlington
  • Poor Law Union: Darlington
  • Hundred: Darlington Ward
  • Province: York