Last updated on September 4th, 2017
Durham Is bounded, North by Northumberland, East by the German Ocean, South by the river Tees, which divides it from Yorkshire, and West by Cumberland and Westmoreland. It is 35 miles long, and 34 miles broad. Rivers: the Tees, the Wear, and the Tyne. It is divided into four wards; Chester, Earlington, Easington and Stockton; with the two districts of Norhamshire and Islandshire. There are 9 Market-Towns. It is in the Province or York, in the Diocese of Durham, and in the Northern Circuit. It contains 1061 square miles, or 679,040 acres. Population in 1841, 324,284.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.