Toller Porcorum is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.
Other places in the parish include: Nether and Over Kingscombe, Nether Kingcombe, Over and Nether Kingscombe, Over Kingcombe, Kingcombe, and Nether and Over Kingcombe.
Alternative names: Great Toller, Swyre Toller
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1758
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1732
- North Poorton
- Toller Fratrum
- Compton Abbas West
- Wynford Eagle
- Powerstock with West Milton
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
TOLLER-PORCORUM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, partly in the hundred of Beaminster-Forum and Redhone, Bridport division, but chiefly in the hundred of Tollerford, Dorchester division, of Dorset, 10 miles (W. N. W.) from Dorchester; containing, with the tything of Kingcombe, 543 inhabitants. This parish is said to have derived its distinguishing name Porcorum from the great number of swine formerly bred in the district. It comprises by admeasurement 3145 acres. Here are chalk-pits; and stone is quarried, for all kinds of buildings. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5; patron and impropriator, J. Fleming, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £242, and the small for £90; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 71 acres. The parish partakes with Toller-Fratrum in the benefit of a school founded in 1772 by George Browne, and endowed with a school-house, &c, and an annuity of £21.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
- County: Dorset
- Civil Registration District: Dorchester
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Bridport
- Poor Law Union: Dorchester
- Hundred: Beaminster Forum and Redhone; Tollerford
- Province: Canterbury