Durweston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.
Other places in the parish include: Knighton.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1730
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1731
- Winterbourne Stickland
- Blandford Forum
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DURWESTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford division of Dorset, 3 miles (N. W.) from Blandford; containing, with the tything of Knighton, 468 inhabitants. It comprises 1900 acres, and is situated on the river Stour, over which is a bridge, to the east of the village; the surface is hilly, and the soil chalky. Knighton, formerly a distinct parish, has long been consolidated with Durweston. The living is a rectory, with that of Bryanston united, valued in the king’s books at £13. 11. 3., and in the gift of Lord Portman: the tithes have been commuted for £263, and the glebe comprises 111 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Dorset
- Civil Registration District: Blandford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Whitchurch
- Poor Law Union: Blandford
- Hundred: Pimperne
- Province: Canterbury