Compton Abbas West is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.

Alternative names: West Compton, West Compton Abbas

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1745

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Toller Porcorum
  • Askerswell
  • Litton Cheney
  • Long Bredy
  • Wynford Eagle
  • Powerstock with West Milton
  • Compton Valence

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

COMPTON-ABBAS, or West Compton (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of Cerne, Totcombe, and Modbury, Dorchester division of Dorset, 9 miles (W. N. W.) from Dorchester; containing 91 inhabitants. It derives the adjunct to its name from having once formed part of the possessions of Milton Abbey. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £8. 0. 5.; net income, £191; patron, R. Williams, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog – Free

Church Records

Bishop’s transcripts for West Compton-Abbas, 1745-1879 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of West Compton-Abbas (Dorsetshire)

Administration

  • County: Dorset
  • Civil Registration District: Dorchester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Bridport
  • Poor Law Union: Dorchester
  • Hundred: Cerne, Totcombe and Modbury
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts