Compton Abbas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.
Other places in the parish include: Twyford.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1640
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1731
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Melbury Abbas
- Shaftesbury St James
- Fontmell Magna
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
COMPTON-ABBAS (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny-Handley, Shaston division of Dorset, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from Shaftesbury; containing 439 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the situation of the village in a combe or vale, and its adjunct from its annexation to Shaston Abbey, lies on the road from Shaftesbury to Blandford-Forum, and comprises 1384 acres, whereof 318 are common or waste. There are some quarries of green sandstone used for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £9. 16. 2½., and in the gift of Sir R. P. Glyn, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £350. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a tower, on the summit of which is a pear-tree in full vigour.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Land and property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Dorset
- Civil Registration District: Shaftsbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Shaftesbury
- Poor Law Union: Shaftesbury
- Hundred: Sixpenny Hadley
- Province: Canterbury