Catherston Leweston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.

Alternative names: Catherston Lewston, Chatherston Lewston

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1837
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1837

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Charmouth
  • Stanton St Gabriel
  • Monkton Wyld
  • Wootton Fitzpaine
  • Whitchurch Canonicorum

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CATHERSTON-LEWSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridport, hundred of WhitchurchCanonicorum, Bridport division of Dorset, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Lyme-Regis; containing 36 inhabitants. This place was the residence of a branch of the Wadhams, by one of whom, Nicholas Wadham, and Dorothy his wife, Wadham College, Oxford, was founded. The parish is situated on the great road from London to Plymouth, adjoining the post-town of Charmouth, and comprises by measurement 248 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £2. 16. 10½.; net income, £67; patrons, the Executors of Jones Ross, Esq. The church, rebuilt lately by subscription of the rector and his friends, is a neat small edifice.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog – Free

Census

Census returns for Catherston-Leweston, 1841-1891

Church Records

Bishop’s transcripts for Catherston-Leweston., 1837-1877 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Catherston-Leweston (Dorsetshire)

Parish registers for Catherston-Leweston, 1829-1979 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Catherston-Leweston (Dorsetshire); Dorset Record Office

Administration

  • County: Dorset
  • Civil Registration District: Bridport
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Bridport
  • Poor Law Union: Bridport
  • Hundred: Whitchurch Canonicorum
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts