Bradford Peverell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.
Other places in the parish include: Muckleford.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1732
- West Fordington
- Dorchester Holy Trinity with Frome Whitfield
- Winterbourne Steepleton
- Winterbourne St Martin
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BRADFORD-PEVERELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of George, Dorchester division of Dorset, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dorchester; containing, with the hamlet of Muckleford, 355 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by measurement 2180 acres, is situated on the river Frome, and bounded on the north by the main road from Dorchester to Yeovil, and on the south by the road to Bridport. There is an old Roman way in a straight line from the village to Dorchester; and in the vicinity are several tumuli, some of which, on being opened, were found to contain urns, burnt bones, coins, and various other relics of the Romans. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £11. 2. 11.; net income, £229; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College: corn-rents were assigned in lieu of tithes in 1798, and there are about 50 acres of glebe, with an excellent house. The church is a plain edifice: a good arch divides off the chancel; and on stained glass in one of the windows is the coat of arms of William of Wykeham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
The parish register of Bradford-Peverell Co., Dorset, 1572-1800 : together with the index of the Court Rolls and various other historical notes and pedigrees Author: Bartelot, R. Grosvenor (Richard Grosvenor)
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Dorset
- Civil Registration District: Dorchester
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Dorchester
- Poor Law Union: Dorchester
- Hundred: George
- Province: Canterbury