Askerswell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1731
- Litton Cheney
- Compton Abbas West
- Shipton George
- Powerstock with West Milton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASKERSWELL, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; on an affluent of the river Brid, 5 miles E of Bridport r. station. It has a post office under Bridport. Acres, 1,161. Real property, with Loders, Up-Loders, and Mattravers, £7,127. Pop., 223. Houses, 48. The surface is a pleasant valley surrounded by hills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £160. Patron, Mrs. H. T. Bower. The church was built in 1858, but has a tower which belonged to a previous edifice. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bridport
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
Rural Deanery: Bridport
Poor Law Union: Bridport