Arne is a chapelry of Wareham Ecclesiastical Parish in Dorset.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1762
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1731
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Corfe Castle
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARNE, a parish in Wareham district, Dorset; on the W side of Poole harbour, 4 miles E of Wareham r. station. Post Town, Wareham. Acres, 4,196; of which 1,580 are water. Real property, with Earlsmead and Haymoor, £524. Pop., 139. Houses, 30. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Wareham, in the diocese of Salisbury.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ARNE, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Hasilor, Wareham division of Dorset, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Wareham; containing 168 inhabitants; and comprising 1068a. 2r. 21p., exclusive of 1754 acres of common or waste. The village is situated on the shore of Poole harbour, between Wareham and Brownsey Island. On the summit of an eminence connected with a bank of gravel or pebbles, extending north-eastward into the harbour, is a large barrow, which was formerly used as a beacon. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Wareham. The chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a plain structure of ancient date.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Dorset
- Civil Registration District: Wareham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Whitchurch
- Poor Law Union: Wareham and Purbeck
- Hundred: Hasilor
- Province: Canterbury