Almer is an Ancient Parish in the county of Dorset.
Other places in the parish include: Mapperton.
Alternative names: Almer and Mapperton
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1731
- Winterbourne Tomson
- Winterbourne Zelstone
- Sturminster Marshall
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ALMER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Loosebarrow, Wimborne division of Dorset, 5¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Blandford-Forum; containing, with the hamlet of Mapperton, 189 inhabitants. It comprises 1129 acres of land, presenting a flat appearance; the soil is light, with a chalk and gravel bottom. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 5. 8., and in the patronage of the family of Drax: the tithes have been commuted for £265, and the glebe consists of 35 acres. The church is a small edifice, built by General Erle.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Dorset
- Civil Registration District: Blandford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Whitchurch
- Poor Law Union: Blandford
- Hundred: Loosebarrow
- Province: Canterbury