Wembury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Down Thomas, Knighton, and Neighton.
Parish church: St. Werburgh
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1611
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WEMBURY (St. Werburgh), a parish, in the union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Plympton, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 5¼ miles (S. by W.) from Plympton-Earls; containing 616 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south and west by the English Channel, and on the east by the river Yealm. It comprises 2565 acres, of which 137 are common or waste; the surface is boldly undulated, and the views over the Channel and the adjacent country are interesting and extensive. Nearly opposite to the church, from which it is about two miles distant, bearing west-south-west, and at the entrance of Plymouth Sound, is the small island called by mariners the Mew Stone. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £83; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Windsor, whose tithes have been commuted for £380. The church occupies the brow of a bold eminence on the shore, and is in the later English style, with the exception of the north aisle, which is of an earlier period, and substantially built of granite. In the chancel is a curious monument to Sir John Hele, serjeant at-law in the reigns of Elizabeth and James I.; and in the south aisle is a massive tomb inscribed to the memory of Lady Narborough, dated 1678. An almshouse for ten people was founded and endowed in 1625, by Sir Warwick Hele.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Plympton St Mary
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Plympton
- Poor Law Union: Plympton St Mary
- Hundred: Plympton
- Province: Canterbury