Welcombe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Welcomb, Wellcombe
Other places in the parish include: Lower Darracott.
Parish church: St. Nictan
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1757
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WELLCOMBE, a parish in Bideford district, Devon; near the coast, 16 miles WSW of Bideford r. station. Post town, Stratton, Cornwall. Acres, 1,751. Real property, £1,155. Pop., 209. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £71. Patron, Lord Clinton. The church was recently in bad condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WELLCOMBE (St. Nictan), a parish, in the union of Bideford, hundred of Hartland, Great Torrington and N. divisions of Devon, 5¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Hartland; containing 293 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the coast of the Bristol Channel, which bounds it on the west; and comprises 1551 acres, whereof 448 are common or waste land. The road from Stratton to Bideford passes on the east. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £71; patron, Lord Clinton; impropriator, W. Heddon, Esq. About nine acres of land purchased by a grant from Queen Anne’s Bounty, belong to the benefice. The church is a very small cruciform structure in the Norman style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Bideford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Hartland
Poor Law Union: Bideford