Washford Pyne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Washford-Pine
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1586
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WASHFORD-PYNE, a parish, with two hamlets, in Crediton district, Devon; 7 miles NE of Morchard-Road r. station, and 8 N by W of Crediton. Post town, Morchard-Bishop, North Devon. Acres, 1,140. Real property, £950. Pop., 182. Houses, 37. The manor belongs to C. Tucker, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £160. Patron,C. Tucker, Esq. The church is early English. There is a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WASHFORD-PINE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of Witheridge, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Crediton; containing 197 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Exeter to South Molton; and comprises 1140a. 3r. 7p., of which about 112 acres are moor now drained and inclosed, 75 coppice and plantations, 15 orchard, and the remainder arable, with a little pasture. The soil in general is a dark earth having a subsoil of clay. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 0. 2½., and in the gift of the Rev. C. Tucker: the tithes have been commuted for £90; the glebe contains 90 acres. There was formerly a chapel at Whenham, in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Crediton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: South Molton
- Poor Law Union: Crediton
- Hundred: Witheridge
- Province: Canterbury