Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1674
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
- Peter Tavy
- Sampford Spiney
- Buckland Monachorum
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WALKHAMPTON, a parish, with part of Horrabridge village, in Tavistock district, Devon; adjacent to Horrabridge r. station, and 5 miles SE of Tavistock. Post town, Horrabridge, Devon. Acres, 10,540. Real property, £3,340. pop., 831. Houses, 143. The manor and most of the land belong to Sir M. Lopes, Bart. About 6,600 acres are waste land in Dartmoor. The Living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £125. Patron, Sir M. Lopes, Bart. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and a free school for 40 boys and 20 girls.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Tavistock
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Tamerton
Poor Law Union: Tavistock