Uffculme is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Ashill.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1591
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Uffculme
- Dunkeswell Abbey
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UFFCULME, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tiverton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Culm, 2¾ miles NE of Tiverton-Junction r. station; was anciently called Upculm; was long, from 1266, a market-town; carries on malting, brewing, and woollen manufacture; and has a post-office under Cullompton, and three annual fairs. The parish contains also 8 hamlets, and comprises 6,122 acres. Real property, £11,555. Pop., 2,020. Houses, 441. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. Bradfield House has belonged, since the time of King John, to the family of Walrond. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £350. Patron, the Prebendary of Uffculme. The church was recently restored and enlarged, and the tower and spire rebuilt. There are an Independent chapel, two Baptist chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £47 a year, a national school, and charities £11. The sub-district contains 5 parishes. Acres, 17,778. Pop., 5,229. Houses, 1,128.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Uffculme 1538-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Tiverton
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Uffculme
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Tiverton
Poor Law Union: Tiverton
Hundred: Bampton (Devon)